Monday, March 21, 2011

Days 37-40(Relapse)

With the joy of having reached a milestone, I went to bed Thursday with high hopes of continuing along the straight and narrow path.  Or at least the path that would make me straight and narrow, wait, that's not right.
Anyway, I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't get back to sleep.  At 4 am I decided that if I was still awake at 5 am I would just get up and go to the gym.  I fell asleep at 4:30.
So I missed Friday's morning workout. But when I did wake up, I jumped on the scale and was only up a couple pounds.  Considering all the salty, fatty, meat I had inhaled the night before I was pleasantly surprised.  Then for some reason I went rogue.  Breakfast burrito and a Rockstar.  A Rojo Mole burrito for lunch( I recommend El Gallo Giro in Provo for a tasty burrito), and pizza for dinner.  In my defense, the pizza followed a decent hour or so on my new bike, which I love.  Here's proof:
That would be Kris Nosack in the Utah Velo Club Shorts, Jeff in the Clammy Chamois kit, and Paul Zimm in the front pulling. It was a windy, gloomy ride, but so good to be out on the new rig.
We discussed getting together with Stan for the Velo Club ride Saturday, but figured we'd wait and see what the weather was like. In the morning, Paul text me that he was staying inside rather than fight the wind.  So Jeff and I loaded up the bikes and headed up to Cobourn's house up by the U to ride with Cobes, Moody, Lou, and some of their significant others.  I have ridden with Cobes and Moody a lot, and Lou once or twice.  Lou is one of those freakishly skinny, fast guys. Lou is also a much friendlier person than either Cobes or Moody.  We were hoping to keep the pace "moderate" and for the most part it was.  We rolled down to 9th East and turned south.  We stayed on 9th all the way into Draper where we flipped around and rode back up Wasatch Blvd all the way back to Cobes house.  Brutal headwind for the southbound leg, followed by a nice tailwind for all the climbing heading north.  That was until we hit a wall of arctic wind and snow flurries just before Parley's Canyon.  It was all we could do to make it out alive.  When faced with such harrowing conditions, the only logical thing to do aprés ride is pound a big nasty Garlic Burger at the Fiddler's Elbow. Then come home and load up the kids and head to Arby's for dinner.  Then eat a bucket of popcorn and a box of Milk Dud's at a movie.  I barely made it out alive.
Bear in mind, I was not weighing myself this weekend.  I figured I would binge without remorse and let the chips fall where they may.
Sunday was spent in front of the open fridge door.  I ate nothing satisfying, but at least I ate a lot of it.  Two-fisting chips, cookies, and Almond Joy "Pieces", which are little M&M sized candies that taste like Almond Joy(duh).
So this morning, I was surprised to see I was only up to 181.  I jumped up, and headed to the gym, sans Jeff. But then for some reason, My decision making faltered again.  Instead of packing my lunch, I went to Dairy Queen.  Don't ask me why.  It started out okay, they had a panini type of turkey sandwich.  But I got it with fries, and then was starving so I ordered a single cheeseburger as a chaser.  Then I got home and had pancakes and eggs with the family.
But I fully intend to go to the gym tonight.  The lousy weather is pushing me indoors once again.
I feel better getting that all off my chest.  Thank you for listening.
Morning Weigh-In:

  • 181
  • 22.1%
  • Total Weight Loss:18.8


  1. That was a fun ride, even though I'm behind you guys in terms of fitness.

    Wow, when you go off a diet, you do it right.

  2. Nice, see if Cobes and I invite you next time. Maybe you and Lou will have to share a bed in Moab!